Royal is 3 years 11 months
Baloo is 6.5
We used my Medieval Pack for much of our Medieval Theme!
Make sure to check out the pack here!
We’ve been planning our Medieval week for awhile now, and I’m so happy that we finally got to it! I wanted to combine D is for Dump Truck and D is for dragon, so I’ve been holding out a bit.
We started out by building a castle. I had saved up a few boxes, TP Rolls, and Paper Towel rolls just for this purpose. The boys and I looked through our castle books to find exactly what a castle would look l like. The more important part for them was that it had a draw bridge.
They decided they wanted a red castle, so we painted everything red. Baloo painted the moat around the castle. Then we used a glue gun to glue everything down. The boys had a blast playing with the castle all week!
I was originally cutting up this box to be our castle base. When I got to this point though, the boys decided that the front looked like a drawbridge. It was immediately overtaken. Now this box it an important part of our school room. For Medieval week it was mostly a castle!
We got the inspiration for these Tin Foil Knights here.
I cut out all the shapes because tin foil can be tricky to cut.
The boys decided to use chopsticks for their jousting sticks, which I thought was appropriate!
I printed off the writing cards from Cassie’s Medieval Pack. I cut the images and writing apart and hid the images all around the room.
Then Baloo had to find them, match the picture to the word, and trace the word.
Working on some sheets from my Medieval Pack. He dotted the people pink and red/pink and purple and then added them.
Royal worked on some sheets from Cassie’s Medieval Pack.
Labeling the Castle
We tested out a few catapult designs.
The website that we got these designs from seems to be gone now There are many many homemade catapult design ideas out there though!
This one was so simple. You just rubber band about 8 popsicle sticks together on each end. Take 2 more popsicle sticks and rubber band them around the set of 8. We also hot glued a lid on one stick.
This one was a bit more complicated, but still took under 10 minutes. We hot glued the base together, and the rest is secured with rubberbands.
And tested! The incredibly easier and simple one was by far the best! It shot everything and so far! We ended up making a 2nd one so both Royal and Baloo could go around shooting things.
This was our ‘D’ week wall at the end! We had a lot of D fun!
Our book set-up, and dress up costume!
We also squished some D is for Dump Truck activities!
This was one of the first times that Royal has traced a letter! I’ve been presenting letter worksheets to him for well over a year now and never really pushed tracing the letters – then one day he just did it! I was thrilled.
Since the first time, he has been tracing all the letters he sees!!
We counted some dump trucks and worked on number recognition.
Royal dotted some D’s and then he wanted to glue the dump trucks to the sheet.
Working on his 1-10 puzzle. This was great for number recognition as well.
He found it to be quite challenging, but counting the numbers helped!
Logi-Bear wanted in on the fun, and he decided to paint his dump truck.
More dotting! The dotting pages are some of the favorites every week!
We had a great time with D week – themes are just so much fun! The boys are having fun helping me plan out more themes now!